Sunday, April 25, 2010

My first wine column in Glo Magazine Ft.Wayne April 2010

My relationship with wine
When growing up in Germany, I tasted sweet, German Rieslings first. Young people still tend to start with the sweeter wines first - maybe as a result of the sugar pop generation. Even the French in Alsace have changed their Rieslings back to sweeter versions.

When I started dating, I began experimenting with more serious wines. I wanted to impress my date with something better than Riesling. At the time, red Bordeaux, Rhone or Italian reds were popular. Just as my relationship changed and became more serious, so did my relationship with wine. My journey in life opened my eyes to wine. While not everyone gets to travel the world and develop an appreciation for food and wine like I did, we are all introduced to new wines through friends and aqn ever-expanding social world.

Just like my relationship with my wife has matured - my relationship with wine has matured. I am picky. Bordeaux; Burgundy; big bold wines from Argentina; always Italian Barolo and Brunello (for my wife, Barbaresco); and the exciting, biodynamic and cult wines from California. I have enjoyed my journey through life wine wine. I collect the good ones when I can and when a big anniversary comes up, it's no longer a decision of which wine to pick from my favorite store, but which wine to open from the special wines collected over time.

Yes, I have a relationship with wine. It is a very personal relationship. tastes change and mature over time. I know what I like and live by the phrase, "Life is too short to drink bad wines".


GLO Magazine of Ft.Wayne, In is aimed for the modern women of today. the april issue was an issue about relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment